Saturday, June 27, 2009

Strawberry Picking

On June 16th we went strawberry picking. I wasn't sure how it would go, so I just brought one bowl along. Ben loved it. I gave Ben a quart box and he would go up and down our row and find big juicy berries and come back on fill our bowl. Kyle was eating the berries almost as fast as I could pick them. However, he would only take one bite and then put them in the bowl. So, I had to watch for half eaten berries in the bowl and eat the remainders so we had good berries to use for shortcake. We had perfect weather. It was fairly cool and just enough wind that Ben was having a hard time keeping his hat on. Ben wanted to go home and get more bowls, but it was Kyle's nap time and we had enough berries to use up.

We tried to go berry picking this past Wednesday and it didn't go nearly as well. It was very hot and humid, so both boys just sat in the row and whined. Ben wanted to bring two huge tupperware bowls along and we hardly got one half full. The berries were nice, but you had to look a lot harder to find them.


We really like coming to this field to pick. The owner's father and our neighbor built our house. Ben and I found it by accident three years ago. They love having the kids out in the field and they don't use harmful chemicals, so you can eat as many berries straight out of the field as you would like (and they will tell you that too). Such a different attitude than some of the other berry patches around. Ben in his "cowboy hat" with his basket of berries that he is bringing to put in the bowl (usually like 4-5 berries).


Kyle trying to find a berry.

Ben looking for the big ones.

Kyle with a mouth full of strawberries - happy as could be.

Me and my helpers after a good morning of picking.

No comments: